Representations of driving in the media

• administrators

How accurately does the media represent the experience of driving?

• My biggest gripe is the overall lack of common sense safety while driving. Let me start with commercials: drivers are often shown doing very tricky maneuvers and that's when the small print appears on the screen: "Professional driver on closed course. Do not attempt." These maneuvers include cars driving very close to each other on an open flat course and a car drifting in slow motion (Mercedes) and then coming to a sideways stop inches from another parked car. In movies and TV shows, my gripe is when they show conversations inside the car and the driver is always looking way too long at the front seat passenger. "Hawaii Five-O" always shows a driver talking on a cell phone while driving, and it's always with a handheld phone. I could go on, but I'll keep it short since I think most of you know what I mean.

• administrators

Agreed. It's like all the folks in Hollywood took driver ed in 1975. Their grasp of driving techniques hasn't evolved since then, apart from having drivers hold smartphones in their hands, rather than CB radios.

Case in point: I have yet to see a driver represented in a TV show or a commercial who doesn't have their hands on the steering wheel at 10 & 2.

8 & 4, people, 8 & 4!

Looks like your connection to The Driver Ed Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.